Who says they couldn’t go vegan?? A lot of people that just don’t yet know how you can actually enjoy every meal you have always loved– Just substitute your meat and dairy ingredients for vegan versions and it is just as good, infact, BETTER, because it’s cruelty free and instead filled with more of the earth’s beautiful gifts.. vegetables!
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, black beans, and 2 tsp chili powder. Sauté until the onion is translucent and tender. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high. Add crumbled tofu, kale, and chopped bell pepper. Cook until tofu is golden. Add ½ cup salsa, 1 tsp chili powder, and ¼ tsp salt. Mix well. Add ⅔ of the bean mixture from step 1 and ⅓ cup vegan cheese shreds. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a blender, blend remaining ⅓ of the beans from step 1, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup of salsa, and 1 tsp chili powder. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread each tortilla with a generous layer of sauce. Divide the filling evenly among tortillas and arrange the filling in a line down the center of each tortilla. Roll up the sides and place enchiladas, seam side down, in a baking dish. ( I used two smaller dishes: a 5″x7″ and an 7″x7″)
- Top with remaining sauce and vegan cheese shreds. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Just before serving, top with chopped green onion, cilantro. Serve with fresh avocado or guacamole.
By Kira Khonsari